You can find a PDF of this press release here.
For Immediate Release
Contact: Brittany-Rae Gregory
May 17, 2022
Washington, D.C. (May 17, 2022) – The Federal Communications Commission requested public comment on preventing digital discrimination as directed by the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. The comments will be used to inform a rulemaking proceeding.
- focus on equitable broadband access;
- work closely with municipalities to craft a definition that allows municipalities the flexibility needed to address variations of digital discrimination in their communities;
- consult with the communities affected by digital discrimination before implementing rules;
- consider that “equal opportunity to subscribe” should also take into account a consumer’s ability to utilize available service options; and
- define the geographic area represented by “a given area” as the service area of a provider.